Q: What should I do in the event of an emergency or disaster?
A: You should:
- Remain calm, be patient, use common sense, think before you act, and give assistance as needed.
- Follow the advice of local emergency officials.
- Closely monitor news reports and emergency alert systems for news and instructions.
- Keep ready access to your medicines and phone numbers.
- Avoid crowded public areas.
- If an attack occurs, stay away from the area.
- Know where emergency devices are located and the location of at least two emergency exits close to your living/working area.
- Make sure to have access to an adequate first aid kit.
You should not:
- Use the telephone (landline or cellular) except to report the emergency situation.
- Use elevators.
- Jeopardize your life or the lives of others by attempting to save personal or university property.
- Light matches or candles or turn on electrical switches.