MA & MS - Application Process
Students desiring to enroll in the Master of Arts and Master of Science degree programs in the Department of HPPE must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution, preferably in physical education.
An acceptable minor in physical education or the equivalent from an accredited institution will be considered for the coaching and sport management programs.
Students without undergraduate majors in physical education, exercise science or related areas may be required to take prerequisite or "leveling" courses. These may vary according to the student's specialization.
All applicants must submit the following information to: (Deadline for completed applications is August 1st for online programs)
Adams State University
208 Edgemont Boulevard
Alamosa, CO 81101
- A $30.00 non-refundable application fee
- Letter of Intent
- Two (2) recent letters of recommendation from associates who can speak to the applicant's academic strengths and potential.
- An official transcript from all institutions attended sent directly from the institution to the Adams State Human Performance and Physical Education Department verifying receipt of the baccalaureate degree. Transcripts from Adams State need not be requested; however, official transcripts confirming transfer courses are required. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted.
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA of a 3.0 in the final 60 hours of the undergraduate degree program is required. The department chair of HPPE will determine whether an applicant with a GPA lower than 3.0 in the final 60 hours must take the verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing parts of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Scores on the GRE must be equal to or greater than 150 on the Verbal sub-test, equal to or greater than 150 on the Quantitative sub-test, and 4 or greater on the Analytical Writing sub-test. The department chair and graduate coordinator will finalize admittance into the program based on the applicant's performance on the GRE. Scores will be computed for students who took the GRE prior to August 2011. Additional information may be requested by the department chair before a decision can be determined.
- If applicant's undergraduate degree is in something other than Human Performance and Physical Education, the student may be required to complete additional pre-requisites.
- Additional information may be requested by the Department Chair before a decision can be determined.
- The HPPE Department Chair will notify students of admission decisions.