"Top of the Nation"
High School Honor Choir Festival
- Thursday, February 14th through Saturday, February 16th
Dr. Beth Robison, Mixed Choir, Adams State University
Dr. Christine Keitges, Women's Choir, Adams State University
- Audition Procedure
- Application Form
- Audition Materials
- Tentative Schedule
- Hotels in Alamosa
- Restaurants in Alamosa
Adams State University “Top of the Nation” Honor Choirs Festival is an annual event at ASU offered to high school students chosen from all over the state. The festival consists of both a mixed and a women’s choir and these choirs are limited to 50-60 singers allowing for a more intimate setting. The event is held over a three-day period, beginning on Thursday morning and culminating in a concert on Saturday afternoon.
Our Honor Choir Festival is run in conjunction with our Honor Band Festival in order to provide an improved festival experience. However, all paperwork and fees are handled separately, and each event has its own schedule.
- Each applicant must submit a CD/taped audition that will include a prepared piece, melodic and rhythmic sight reading examples, aural recall and an a cappella melody
- With each audition CD, a completed application form must be included
- Recordings and/or applications must be postmarked by October 29. Any applications received after that cannot be considered.
- Participants are expected to re-audition using excerpts from the honor choir literature when they arrive at the festival.
- Application forms, the audition procedure and audition materials may be accessed from the “Downloadable Forms.”
Adams State University Music Building and Leon Memorial Hall: Our music building and recital hall have been renovated! The $5.7 million Music Building project features a 3,225- sq-ft., two-story addition and new east entrance. This space includes a new recording studio, two rehearsal halls, a percussion studio, and four new practice rooms. All interior walls were gutted and rebuilt to meet modern acoustical standards. New furnishings and musical instruments complete the package.
- Student registration is $25 per student and will be due in January, after acceptance letters are sent out.
- Transportation, housing, parking costs and meals are the responsibility of the participants. It is suggested that band parent organizations help defer at least some of these costs if possible.
- Selected students will need to arrive on the Adams State College campus on February, 14th between 8:45am-9:45am with re-auditions occurring between 8:45 and 10:15.
- The final concert will take place on Saturday, February 16th at 2:00pm, and students should not plan to leave before 3:30pm.
- A tentative schedule is listed under "Downloadable Forms."
Graduate Credit for Directors
- Directors can receive 1 graduate credit for attending TOTN.
- In order to receive the full credit, directors will need to accumulate a total of 15 clock hours of observation. Admission and registration can be taken care of with one form that you can fill out while you're here.
- You can pay by credit card or check made out to Adams State University for the course fees. Nothing needs to be arranged or paid for in advance.
If you have further questions, please contact Dr. Beth Robison at: