Karen D. Adamson
RN, BSN MSN WHNP-C
My nursing career began in 1992 after graduating with a BSN from San Diego State University. The first 17 years of my nursing profession I dedicated to care of patients in the Surgical and Trauma Intensive Care Unit setting. Working primarily in teaching institutions fostered the love of medical education and a team centered approach.
In 2005 I decided to change my focus from acute care to prevention and wellness. In 2009 I graduated from Drexel University with a Master's degree in Nursing, Women's Health Nurse Practitioner. Since then I have centered my career specializing in gynecological and reproductive health care for women of all ages.
I believe a partnership with patients regarding wellness, prevention and education are essential in achieving and maintaining a healthy and fulfilling life. I have a passion in educating patients to make healthy life choices. I believe all people can reach their full potential through the empowerment that education provides.
I have taken my passion for education one step further into the academic arena. My goal is to infect the future nursing profession with theoretical and clinical knowledge excellence as well as compassion. Helping others medically and compassionately is the greatest gift one can give.
I enjoy outdoor activities in my Salida home with my husband Eric and two teenage children.
- Drexel University, Philadelphia. Pennsylvania- May 2009- Masters of Science in Nursing, Women's Health Nurse Practitioner
- San Diego State University, California- May 1992- Bachelors of Science in Nursing
- Award Recipient 2012: Bayada Award for Technological Innovation in Nursing Education and Practice
- Outstanding Graduate of the Women's Health Nurse Practitioner Track Drexel University: 2009
- Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society- Masters of Science in Nursing, 2009
- Commendation Resolution from the City of Denver, Colorado. Presented for excellence in Critical Care Nursing, 1994
- Faculty Adams State University : Nursing Department
- Abstract Presenter: Public Health Conference 2012: Unplugged; Goasktara@gmail.com
- Research Investigator for Duets Trial: Assessing satisfaction, tolerance of Athena pelvic muscle trainer for stress and urge incontinence 2011
- Clinical Preceptor for the Master's Program in Nursing: Colorado State University Pueblo 2010- present
- Presenter: Women's Health Day Conference: Salida, Colorado 2010, 2009
- Red Cross- Disaster Response Volunteer
- CPR instructor