Be prepared for College Goal Sunday in Alamosa on Feb. 21
Don't forget to bring key materials to make the most of the workshop
The fourth annual College Goal Sunday, a national program that provides free assistance for families who want to apply for financial aid, takes place from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 21, in the Adams State College Student Union Building, in Alamosa. Spanish translators will be available.
Financial aid professionals will be on hand at each College Goal Sunday location to help families complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the universally required financial aid application. The FAFSA must be completed for a student to receive any type of financial aid, including grants, work study, student loans and even many scholarships.
CollegeInvest, a not-for-profit division of the Colorado Department of Higher Education, has contributed $15,000 in scholarships to College Goal Sunday. One student will win $1,000 at each Colorado location.
In order to complete the FAFSA, attendees should bring the following information with them. Dependant students will need to bring this information for their parents as well.
• Social Security number
• Driver's license, if any
• 2009 W-2 forms and other records of money earned
• 2009 records of untaxed income such as Social Security benefits, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare or veterans benefits
• Your 2009 bank statements
• 2009 business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
• Your alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
• Your Personal Identification Number or PIN to electronically sign the FAFSA. If you do not have a PIN you can register for one at http://www.pin.ed.gov/PINWebApp/pinindex.jsp. A PIN allows you to electronically sign your FAFSA for faster processing.
"Make sure to come to College Goal Sunday prepared with your 2009 financial information to make the most out of this free event," said Misti Ruthven, CollegeInvest School Relations Manager. "This is a wonderful opportunity to meet with financial aid experts from around the state."
More information on College Goal Sunday can be found athttp://www.collegegoalcolorado.org/.