Free tax service to qualifying individuals
Adams State College School of Business and The Piton Foundation are providing free tax service to qualifying individuals starting January 30. If your family's income is under $49,000, IRS-certified students at Adams State can save you hundreds of dollars you'd pay to file, and make sure you get all the tax credits you're due.
Adams State's free tax site is open from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. every Saturday; and 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, from January 30 through April 15, in the School of Business lobby. Additionally, services are available from 9 a.m. until noon Saturdays from February 6 through March 6 at the Conejos County Library, in La Jara, located at 17703 US 285. The week of Adams State's spring break, March 13 through March 20, no services will be offered.
If you make less than about $49,000 and have children at home, the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit can reduce the income tax you pay and may even mean you get a bigger refund-as much as $5,000 or more! Plus, there are tax credits available for saving for retirement, paying for college, and buying a first home.
Make sure to bring the following documents with you to the tax site:
· All W-2, 1099s and other income-related documents.
· Proof of mortgage interest, property taxes, daycare payments, college education expenses, charitable contributions and all other tax-deductible expenses.
· Social Security Cards for all family members.
· A copy of last year's tax return, if available.
· Bank account number and routing number to direct deposit your refund. With direct deposits, refunds are received in 7–10 days.
For more information contact the School of Business at 719-587-7316.