The purpose of ACCUPLACER tests is to provide you with useful information about your academic skills in a variety of courses. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your academic background, goals, and interests, are used by academic advisors and counselors to determine your course selection.
You cannot "pass" or "fail" the placement tests; however, it is very important that you do your very best on these tests so that you will have an accurate measure of your academic skills.
Adams State University (ASU) students taking the ACCUPLACER are allowed to take the exam free of charge twice within their first semester. Additional attempts during this semester or thereafter will be subject to a fee. Students taking this exam for another institution will be required to pay the exam fee as described below.
Students are allowed to use scratch paper and pencils but no calculator, cell phone, or any other applications/electronics for this exam. The ACCUPLACER is not timed but on average can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes per section. Each section consists of 14-24 questions with instant results.
Find out more about the ACCUPLACER tests - get tips and see sample questions:
If you need to take the exam, but cannot make it to ASU’s campus, please click on the following link to request an off-site proctor.
Visit the ALEKS webpage for alternative placement options for Mathematics.
Once you have completed the ACCUPLACER, your scores will indicate your possible options for placement. The GTLC staff will go over each test score with you to discuss your course options. Once you have taken the ACCUPLACER, the next step is to meet with your academic advisor to get registered for classes that meet your degree requirements.
GTLC Testing Policy & Procedures
- Adhere to all re-testing policies as noted below
- Schedule an exam time to ensure testing room and computer availability
- Testing for ACCUPLACER begins at 8:30
am during normal hours and 9:30 am during breaks.
- Administration stops at 4 pm during normal hours and 3 pm during breaks.
- Present a valid photo ID with a clear picture and ASU student ID number
- Present receipt, if applicable
- Secure all personal belongings and unauthorized testing aids including cell phones and other electronic devices
- Ensure that no children accompany the tester into the room or are left unattended in waiting area.
*Please note that all testing rooms and tables are monitored at ALL times
Students who re-test on any section of the ACCUPLCER must adhere to the following wait times:
- Elementary Algebra: 30 days in between exam attempts
- Writing/Sentence Skills: as a viable alternative to an ACCUPLACER re-test for writing, ASU students need to take the:
- Students who re-test on any section of the ACCUPLACER may be assessed a fee, to be paid prior to exam time
- First-semester students (first-time or transfer) for ASU will be provided with two free exam attempts in their first semester
- Non ASU students, and second-semester students and beyond will be assessed a $5 exam fee for each section: i.e. Math: $5, Math/Reading: $10, Math/Reading/Writing: $15