The library has three closed collections: the Colorado Collection, the Cooper Collection, and the University Archives. Items in these collections can be found by using the online catalog or the Archives and Special Collections Research Guide.
The Colorado Collection contains newspaper clippings, obituary files, and maps related to the San Luis Valley and to Colorado. It also includes the Ruth Marie Colville Room's collection of books which trace the history of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico in general, and the San Luis Valley in particular.
The Jack Cooper Collection was donated to the library upon the death of Jack Kyle Cooper (1932-2006). It is Cooper's personal collection containing over one thousand volumes on a variety of topics, including Colorado history.
The Archives Collection contains historical materials related to Adams State University, as well as older books.
Because many of these items are unique and cannot be replaced, the library has adopted the following guidelines for the use of these collections to insure their preservation for future use.
- The materials belonging to a closed collection are kept in locked rooms and are not allowed to be checked out from the building. Also, they are not open for browsing.
- Materials may be accessed only by requesting the assistance of a reference librarian. It is recommended patrons make appointments ahead of time in order to insure that a librarian will be available. Call 719-587-7879 to speak with a reference librarian, or send e-mail to Adams State Reference at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Up to three items may be retrieved for use at one time. If you would like to use more than three items, or look through archival documents, you may use the Colorado Room for this purpose.
- If materials are intact and usable (some items are too fragile to use), then these items may be used in the reference area. Permission to photocopy will be granted, or denied, on a case-by-case basis.
- All materials pulled for use will need to be signed out and a current, valid picture ID will be held during their use.
- Limited borrowing may be permitted for the use in displays and/or events run by recognized organizations. Please contact Adams State Reference at email@example.com for more details.
- Exceptions to the above policy must be approved by the library director and the Special Collections & Archives librarian. Please contact Adams State Reference at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Donations to the collection are welcomed! Please see our donation form to make sure that our policies for donations are acceptable to you. If you have any questions about donating special collection items please contact email@example.com.